• DYK - The first U.S. Satellite Radio broadcast was on September 25, 2001, by XM Satellite Radio, quickly followed by Sirius Satellite Radio just four months later.
Why Satellite Radio?
Did You Know; The story Satellite Radio begins in the 1990s with two U.S. satellite radio companies; Sirius Satellite Radio, and XM Satellite Radio. Both, set out on a long and expensive journey to offer radio programming across a much broader geographical area than terrestrial radio stations, with a wider variety of programming options.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) was petitioned to assign new frequencies for satellites, with fierce opposition from the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), who contested that satellite radio would harm local radio stations. In 1997, after 7 long years of lobbying, the FCC finally granted approval for Satellite radio.
At first, Sirius and XM competed head-to-head for a decade until finally merging together in 2008 to avoid bankruptcy... becoming Sirius XM Satellite radio.
Licensing and Compliance
Today, Satellite/Internet Radio allows businesses to distribute music programming with licensing to stay in compliance with Digital Rights Management (DRM) for musical works as stipulated by the U.S. Copyright Act. Performing Right Organizations (PRO) provide intermediary services between copyright holders and music service providers.
The two major "PROs" are ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers), and BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.). ASCAP is the oldest working PRO, launched in 1914, and BMI is the largest PRO in the U.S. Both work on behalf of Songwriters and Publishers to ensure they are compensated through proper licensing compliance.
Satellite Radio Benefits
Satellite/Internet Radio is the quickest, simplest, and most economical way to create a business atmosphere where music can increase satisfaction and boost productivity as a background for any size facility and for every budget.
• Low Monthly Fee: An excellent value for enhancing the customer experience.
• No Long-Term Contracts: Flexibility to scale or stop service without penalty.
• Business Channels: Hundreds of channels available in dozens of genres.
• Fully Licensed Music: All required royalty fees covered in the subscription.
• Easy Installation: Multiple "easy access" from apps to hardware players.
• Music Scheduling: Manage music scheduling via a remote online portal.
Master Video provides turn-key Satellite and/or Internet Radio solutions to ensure consistent, clear source signal for optimal listening of music, news, sports, and education over multiple channels. We have the experience and scale to make your music project a success with patients, guests, and staff. We furnish, install, and service state-of-the-art satellite radio systems in hospitals, hotels, schools, and corporate facilities for worry-free user listening enjoyment.
We Build Innovative Licensed Music Solutions for Business
• Healthcare: Reduce Stress, Relax patients.
• Hospitality: Create an Ambiance for Guests.
• Education: Inspire and Enhance Learning.
• Commercial: Improve Staff Efficiency.
• Entertainment: Entice and Engage the Public.
• Retail: Influence Shopping Behavior.
“Master Video is your single source solution for Satellite / Internet Radio from installing the right devices to providing the perfect music programming and the proper music licensing rights to ensure complete compliance and peace of mind.”
Brandon Lawshe - Vice President